The automotive industry’s ongoing search for weight reductions is currently driving the trend to replace PC/ABS parts with ABS/PC blends, especially for interior parts.
ABS/PC – Next Generation Material:
New generation ELIX Polymers’ Ultra HH4115HI ABS/PC material has several advantages compared to a PC/ABS:
- 5% lower density with 1,07 g/cm³ vs PC/ABS 1,13 g/cm³, low emission and odor (VDA 278 VOC = 8 / FOG = 3 μg/g (ppm), VDA 270 = 3,0).
- High flowability rate (MVR = 14 cm³/10min.) helps to reduce cycle times, so that more parts per hour can be produced.
- Very high impact strength (ISO180-1A = 58 KJ/m² at 23°C room temperature and ISO180-1A = 41 KJ/m² at -30°C), excellent processability and very good paintability.
- Significant cost saving possibilitiesthanks to the better painting performance and reduced scrap rate of Ultra HH 4115 HI vs PC/ABS.
Tests according to ISO6603-2 (puncture impact behavior) show the very good performance of the Ultra HH 4115 HI at different temperatures for crash-relevant parts such as interior pillars. The appearance of the fracture has been evaluated as very positive by several premium car manufacturers.
ELIX Ultra HH 4115HI has already been tested and approved by several Automotive OEMs.
- BMW approved it according to GS93016 ABS+PCheat resistance and first serial projects are running with the new grade.
- AUDI tested positive emissions, odor and the material is considered as very interesting for lower instrument panel parts, center console parts and door panel parts according to TL52231.
- GM recently approved UltraHH4115HI under GMW15572-T4.
- Further tests and approvals at other OEMs are running at the moment, and Tier suppliers have shown their interest in this new ABS/PC grade.
Applications of ABS/PC:
There is a wide range of target applications for this innovative material. These include door panel parts, instrument panel parts, center console trim, seating parts, interior and exterior pillars, luggage compartment trim, etc. As with other grades of ELIX Polymers, pre-colored material in OEM colors is possible as are tailor-made solutions with special additive packages for very demanding part requirements.